Saturday, February 06, 2010

America's Obsession with Color.......by Jamil Shawwa

We, Americans, a nation that is obsessed with color. My daughter used to call my car by it is brand, now it calls it the black car. My wife, the other day asked me to get her glasses box from the car gloves compartment by saying, get me the black thing for my glasses. What black thing, I asked innocently? I am famous of burning my toast, and used to say the toast was burned; now I hear the wife saying, it looks black. When we have snow, people say, the white stuff, what white stuff? I remember people used to describe heroin or cocaine as the white stuff. Kids in schools who if no one intervenes would embrace diversity as a natural way and normal, now their teachers make it a point to tell them that they are different from each other, all in the name of political correctness and embracing diversity. What diversity, what is the point in telling kids, you are black, you are white, and you are this or that. Once, as an employee of a defunct company, I attended a seminar that talked about diversity as a part of various employees enhancement workshops, and the participants, the instructor, started talking about how we are different- people setting in the room- and how we need to accept each other. I was amazed, once this instructor started to talk about these things, people started to look at each other, the atmosphere became rather electrified and embarrassing. We were all a very diverse group people, whites, blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, etc. We were the United States of America in one room. That room was so warm before we started to talk diversity and became so cold once we started to look at each other, trying to figure out who is what and who is not. Before that seminar, we all talked, laughed, and no one really paid attention, or cared to pay attention about the so called differences, after the seminar, we started to look at each other suspiciously.

No comments :

Post a Comment

How do you like it?

Followers

Blog Archive